Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Daniel Dennett has passed away

Magical Realist Offline
Well he was definitely a formidable gadfly in the cognitive science community. Maybe that's what we need every now and then--a bold socratic questioner of some of our prevailing assumptions and pet theories. May he rest in peace..
Yazata Offline
CC is quick, I heard just now that he died today at the age of 82.

I'm sad to see him go.
Secular Sanity Offline
I saw him in a restaurant near here on the coast with a group of other well-known people. They were discussing ham radios. I could have sworn that he was bragging about his equipment, but I could never find anything on the web about him being an amateur radio operator.
C C Offline
(Apr 20, 2024 03:39 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: I saw him in a restaurant near here on the coast with a group of other well-known people. They were discussing ham radios. I could have sworn that he was bragging about his equipment, but I could never find anything on the web about him being an amateur radio operator.

Ham radio hobby could easily be a neglected item of the partial list...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/04/...ead-at-82/

His myriad interests weren't limited to the academic. Dennett loved art, music, sailing, pottery, trout fishing, windsurfing, ran his own cider press, and made his own Calvados on a Prohibition-era still. He could call a square dance, whittle a wooden walking stick...
Secular Sanity Offline
She gave a good description of how he was not one to traffic false modesty. I would have said braggart. It would be eerie and sad to watch a loved one in that short film, "Where am I", after they passed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daniel Dennett deflates consciousness Magical Realist 21 547 Mar 2, 2024 09:19 PM
Last Post: Syne
  On what annoys Daniel Dennett Magical Realist 3 131 Feb 3, 2023 05:06 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  How do you prove you know a secret without giving it away? C C 0 123 Oct 11, 2022 07:06 PM
Last Post: C C
  Effective altruism + Leibniz's influence on Kant + Would you walk away? C C 4 158 Aug 25, 2022 11:42 PM
Last Post: Syne
  The computerized philosopher: Can you distinguish Daniel Dennett from a computer? C C 0 67 Jul 13, 2022 12:37 AM
  Daniel Dennett on AI: we need smart tools, not conscious feeling ones C C 3 474 Jun 28, 2019 07:00 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Beauvoir’s political philosophy resonates today+ Dennett's new book + SEP updates C C 0 401 Mar 11, 2017 01:48 AM
  Are we free? Neuroscience gives the wrong answer - Daniel Dennett C C 2 1,010 Dec 18, 2016 08:30 PM
Last Post: Yazata