Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Images not showing (socialtracking blockers)

Syne Offline
(Jul 25, 2023 02:49 AM)Yazata Wrote: Everyone (all the democrats at least) predicted that Twitter was going to collapse and disappear under Elon's control.

Well, in a way it was true. Twitter really is going away! It's being rebranded as  X.com

[Image: ROqzFNVh_bigger.jpg]

Everyone is trying to figure out if Tweets are now  X's and if Tweeting is now  X'ing.

Here's X headquarters in San Francisco last night

[Image: F11B1uVWIAA2XGo?format=jpg&name=900x900]

Are the images showing up for others?
All I'm seeing is:
And:
stryder Offline
(Jul 26, 2023 05:07 AM)Syne Wrote:
(Jul 25, 2023 02:49 AM)Yazata Wrote: Everyone (all the democrats at least) predicted that Twitter was going to collapse and disappear under Elon's control.

Well, in a way it was true. Twitter really is going away! It's being rebranded as X.com

Everyone is trying to figure out if Tweets are now X's and if Tweeting is now X'ing.

Here's X headquarters in San Francisco last night

Are the images showing up for others?
All I'm seeing is:
And:

After blurbing on the subject (and removing it from edit) this is my findings:

The "problem" occurs when you use a browser with a Strict non-tracking policy (Private mode) and it can be replicated on multiple browsers if stricted is enforced.
The original idea that the www consortium came up with was to just list the file name in your browser and not actually load the image from the server so as to not trigger image tracking.

Its fine in that sense but it means I can't really deploy a work around. I mean I would be working around the very thing thats suppose to stop the image being loaded in the firstplace.

I guess it could be possible to parse images through a proxy to strip tracking (That would mean the image would have to be cached and re-encoded to stop any stegnography being applied have metadata stripped) Unfortunately those services tend not to be free and if they are they tend to deal in limited amounts of bandwidth. (I guess an AI could actually cleanup and strip and image, however they'd be the problems surrounding plagurism etc)

So in a nutshell to work around the issue, I've added a URL to the filename thats applied as a caption below where the image is suppose to be. clicking it will attempt to open the image in a new tab (Target="_blank")
Syne Offline
(Jul 26, 2023 11:19 AM)stryder Wrote: After blurbing on the subject (and removing it from edit) this is my findings:

The "problem" occurs when you use a browser with a Strict non-tracking policy (Private mode) and it can be replicated on multiple browsers if stricted is enforced.
The original idea that the www consortium came up with was to just list the file name in your browser and not actually load the image from the server so as to not trigger image tracking.

Its fine in that sense but it means I can't really deploy a work around. I mean I would be working around the very thing thats suppose to stop the image being loaded in the firstplace.

I guess it could be possible to parse images through a proxy to strip tracking (That would mean the image would have to be cached and re-encoded to stop any stegnography being applied have metadata stripped) Unfortunately those services tend not to be free and if they are they tend to deal in limited amounts of bandwidth. (I guess an AI could actually cleanup and strip and image, however they'd be the problems surrounding plagurism etc)

So in a nutshell to work around the issue, I've added a URL to the filename thats applied as a caption below where the image is suppose to be. clicking it will attempt to open the image in a new tab (Target="_blank")

I'm not using strict non-tracking or private window (Firefox). I even tried making the standard settings less strict, but that didn't help either.

Don't know what else to try.
stryder Offline
(Jul 26, 2023 11:44 PM)Syne Wrote:
(Jul 26, 2023 11:19 AM)stryder Wrote: After blurbing on the subject (and removing it from edit) this is my findings:

I'm not using strict non-tracking or private window (Firefox). I even tried making the standard settings less strict, but that didn't help either.

A full explaination of whats happening with the blocking of tracking sites:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs...protection
Quote:How does Firefox choose what to block?

Content is blocked based on the domain from which it is to be loaded.

Firefox ships with a list of sites which have been identified as engaging in cross-site tracking of users. When tracking protection is enabled, Firefox blocks content from sites in the list.

Sites that track users are most commonly third-party advertising and analytics sites.

So it's just from certain domains that are classed as using tracking.

A discussion and fix /work around using about:config in firefox:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comment...er_images/
C C Offline
(Jul 26, 2023 11:44 PM)Syne Wrote: [...] I'm not using strict non-tracking or private window (Firefox). I even tried making the standard settings less strict, but that didn't help either.

I'm using Firefox and see all the images. Setting it automatically to clear all cookies/history when closed and sometimes clearing such manually is the only thing I can think of that would radically differ from what 99% of other Firefox users are doing. But I doubt that's it.
Syne Offline
I've tried all suggestions I could find, but no dice. Maybe six months ago, I didn't have this problem. No idea what changed.
Syne Offline
Suddenly, images are back. No idea what setting, combination, or Stryder magic did the trick.
Syne Offline
Now images are showing in earlier posts but not newer ones. I have no idea why that would happen. They're from the same domain.
Maybe they were cached when I had some setting just right? Problem is that I have no idea what setting, nor why nothing seemed to change while I was testing different settings.

EDIT: Yep, clearing my cache gets rid of what images I could see. Back to the drawing board.
Syne Offline
It's already set to 1.

I give up. I can temporarily get images from twimg.com to show, but then every time I try to track down the specific setting, between Firefox and my ad blocker, they disappear again. Now I once again don't know the magic combination of settings.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New forum Images stryder 4 1,055 Jul 24, 2015 12:22 AM
Last Post: krash661