Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Article  Scientists just quantified the shocking extent of type 2 diabetes due to poor diet

C C Offline
https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-...-poor-diet

INTRO: Over the last forty years or so, the number of people with diabetes has jumped from around 100 million to more than 500 million, with matching rises in associated health problems like obesity and cardiovascular disease risk.

It's a significant health problem that is getting worse, which is why researchers are investigating the underlying issues behind the trend. One of those issues is likely to be diet, according to a new study into type 2 diabetes – which accounts for 95 percent of overall cases.

Researchers analyzed data from 184 countries collected between 1990 and 2018, pulling in statistics from public health databases, previous studies, and population demographic records. A poor diet could account for up to 14.1 million type 2 diabetes cases identified in 2018, the team found, which is around 70 percent of new diagnoses globally.

Of the 11 different dietary factors considered, three were shown to be most significant: insufficient whole grains, too much refined rice and wheat, and too much processed meat. Other factors, such as not eating enough nuts or non-starchy vegetables, seemed to have less of an impact.

"Our study suggests poor carbohydrate quality is a leading driver of diet-attributable type 2 diabetes globally, and with important variation by nation and over time," says Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and professor of nutrition at Tufts University in Massachusetts... (MORE - missing details)
Magical Realist Online
Quote:Of the 11 different dietary factors considered, three were shown to be most significant: insufficient whole grains, too much refined rice and wheat, and too much processed meat

I appear to be successfully managing my A1C level thru diet changes alone, which is great because I don't want to go on Metaformin. That med is known for some nasty digestive side effects, which I prefer to avoid at all costs. Cutting out bad carbs as well as sugar is a habit I have gotten used to anyway to control my weight.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article (UK) ‘Climate distress’ is linked to poor mental health, but may also inspire action C C 0 82 Aug 24, 2023 03:38 AM
Last Post: C C
  Article Study claim: Pecans curb obesity, diabetes, inflammation, fatty liver disease, etc C C 3 140 Aug 4, 2023 06:35 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Article Alzheimer's may lose sense of smell first + Diabetes: healthy diet undermined by u... C C 1 79 Jul 30, 2023 07:54 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Article Dementia patients are “rallying” just before death. Scientists want to know why. C C 1 87 Apr 27, 2023 09:33 PM
  Why late-night eating leads to weight gain, diabetes C C 1 124 Oct 24, 2022 09:32 PM
  Does Mediterranean diet decrease dementia risk? + Detect dementia signs 9 years ahead C C 0 95 Oct 13, 2022 06:23 PM
  Vitamin D & chronic inflammation + Men's cancer risk due to biology, not lifestyle C C 0 80 Aug 8, 2022 08:32 PM
  90% of US has poor diet, 25% don’t exercise + Depressed: vulnerable to misinformation C C 1 96 Jan 25, 2022 04:10 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Achieving type 2 diabetes reversal seems way more common than scientists realized C C 2 94 Nov 6, 2021 10:42 PM
Last Post: stryder
  Western diet impairs odor-related learning & olfactory memory in mice C C 0 254 Nov 4, 2020 09:46 PM