Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Article  Bayes’ Theorem and BS

C C Offline
https://johnhorgan.org/cross-check/bayes...d-bullshit

EXCERPTS (John Horgan): . . . there’s nothing magical about Bayes’ theorem. It boils down to the truism that your hypothesis is only as valid as its evidence. If you have good evidence, Bayes’ theorem can yield good results. If your evidence is flimsy, Bayes’ theorem won’t be of much use. Garbage in = garbage out.

[...] Embedded in Bayes’ theorem is a moral message: If you aren’t scrupulous in seeking alternative explanations for your evidence, the evidence will just confirm what you already believe. Even more simply: Doubt yourself. Scientists often fail to heed this dictum, which helps explains why so many scientific claims turn out to be erroneous. Bayesians claim their methods can help scientists overcome confirmation bias and produce more reliable results, but I have my doubts.

Physicists who espouse string and multiverse theories have embraced Bayesian analysis, which they apparently think can make up for lack of genuine evidence. The prominent Bayesian statistician Donald Rubin has served as a consultant for tobacco companies facing lawsuits for damages from smoking. As the science writer Faye Flam once put it, Bayesian statistics “can’t save us from bad science.”

The next time someone like Frank, my former student, gushes to me about Bayes’ theorem, I’ll say: Yeah, it’s a cool tool, but what it really means--and I’m just guessing here, don’t take my word for it--is that we should never be too sure about anything, including Bayes’ theorem. The claim that Bayes’ theorem can protect us from bullshit is, well, bullshit... (MORE - missing details)
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:Embedded in Bayes’ theorem is a moral message: If you aren’t scrupulous in seeking alternative explanations for your evidence, the evidence will just confirm what you already believe. Even more simply: Doubt yourself.

Always distrust certainty obtained by using some formula or epistemic tool. This applies as much to critical thinking and Occam's razor as much as it does to Bayesian logic. If Godel taught us anything it is that assumptions about other things outside of our hypotheses are being assumed to make our conclusions feel true. Truth in the end deteriorates to the extent that it seems absolute and unassailable because every self-enclosing system or theory excludes the reality it seeks to describe or explain. The map is not the territory. Truth oftentimes becomes an enemy of the Real. It assumes a false veneer of facthood that somehow exists outside of the Real. Real facticity resists such dogmaticism, always pointing beyond itself towards the reality it is defined by.
confused2 Offline
I've tried running through this a few times - so far I'm about 50-50 with it. If I run Bayes' theorem through Bayes' theorem .. I have to try it. But not now.