Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

How to disarm a gunman

Syne Offline
Do not try this, especially if you are a woman confronted by a criminal. You're more likely to get shot, when the intent might have just been intimidation.

Life ain't the movies.
stryder Offline
(Nov 29, 2023 12:27 AM)Syne Wrote: Do not try this, especially if you are a woman confronted by a criminal. You're more likely to get shot, when the intent might have just been intimidation.

Life ain't the movies.

The main problem isn't just an attempt to disarm, but it's about where a persons attempt aims the gun. Sure they might not got shot, the person with the gun might not get shot but anyone in the surrounding area could be hit. Technically wrestling a gun away and it going off and shooting someone could make them an unwitting accomplice to a crime.
Magical Realist Offline
(Nov 29, 2023 12:27 AM)Syne Wrote: Do not try this, especially if you are a woman confronted by a criminal. You're more likely to get shot, when the intent might have just been intimidation.

Life ain't the movies.

Why would you be against teaching a technique to women that only empowers them and makes it more likely to save their lives? Do you think it is feminist to empower women? Do you believe women are incapable of physical self-defence?
Syne Offline
(Nov 30, 2023 01:07 AM)Magical Realist Wrote:

Life ain't the movies.

Why would you be against teaching a technique to women that only empowers them and makes it more likely to save their lives? Do you think it is feminist to empower women? Do you believe women are incapable of physical self-defence?

That doesn't empower women. It endangers them. A woman is very unlikely to disarm a man. Attempting to disarm anyone can lead to a discharge, and there's no guarantee that a woman has the speed or strength to ensure it doesn't hit her. Even if she manages to divert the gun once, that only increases the odds of it being used on her. Many criminals only seek to bluff and intimidate, but attempting to disarm one escalates the situation and the perils.

Even as man, I'd only attempt to disarm someone if I thought I had a distinct advantage. For everyone, especially women, the only empowerment against criminals is a gun of your own and good situational awareness.

Of course, if you mean by "empower" the sort of coddling validation of just telling them they are brave, fierce women who can disarm a man, sure, go ahead. I don't intend to enable delusions that can certainly get someone killed. Better yet, try it yourself, if you're ever in that situation. I won't expect you to be around to let us know the results.

But this raises an interesting question. If gunmen are so easy to disarm, why would people worry about law-abiding citizens carrying guns?
confused2 Offline
Syne Wrote:..why would people worry about law-abiding citizens carrying guns?
How does this work - you get to kill once (maybe twice or more) before you can be 'found out' as maybe not quite as law-abiding as .. I'm sure you kind of see where I'm coming from.
Syne Offline
Apparently some people don't understand the very simple concept of self-defense, nor the police investigation of any killing, with evidence to support or deny such a finding.
It's not rocket science.
confused2 Offline
This must (surely) be a quote from somewhere..
? Wrote:Dead men don't testify in court.
Zinjanthropos Offline
I think the video, like tv and movies, is sending the wrong message. Sure, in the land of make believe, a 120 lb wisp can take out or disarm a 250 lb gorilla by using a few martial arts moves. Of course there may be an exception or two but overall, nah, ain’t going to happen.
C C Offline
(Nov 29, 2023 01:57 AM)stryder Wrote: The main problem isn't just an attempt to disarm, but it's about where a persons attempt aims the gun.  Sure they might not got shot, the person with the gun might not get shot but anyone in the surrounding area could be hit.  Technically wrestling a gun away and it going off and shooting someone could make them an unwitting accomplice to a crime.

Hopefully a section of the video was snipped off that warned not to try this when threatened in the hallway of an apartment building full of tenants (or something). But probably not.